What is VUgarde?
VUgarde is TDSi’s range of CCTV products encompassing VUgarde2 VMS and ANPR, Cameras, Servers POE (Power Over Ethernet) equipment and network attached Input and Output devices.
What is the VUgarde2 Software?
The software is modular but all applications rely on at least one VUgarde2 Server (VMS) software installation:
- VUgarde2 VMS - The server application that records the cameras and services the client applications
- VUgarde2 Anywhere - This is a web server that allows both computers and smart devices to take video from the VUgarde2 VMS
- VUgarde2 ANPR - This is an automatic number plate recognition application that takes video streams from the VUgarde2 VMS
- VUgarde2 Client -This is the application that allows viewing, PTZ control and playback of the cameras that the VUgarde2 VMS controls.
Which cameras do you support?
The latest version of VUgarde2 VMS supports over 100 manufacturers totalling over 2,600 models. If your chosen model isn’t directly supported, depending on the application we may be able to help using ONVIF Profile S, PSIA or RTSP support.
Can I plug in legacy analogue cameras?
VUgarde2 is an IP only solution, however, we can provide a range of encoders that will allow you to convert your existing estate onto our platform.
What Operating Systems do you support?
VUgarde2 will run on the following Microsoft operating systems:
- Windows XP Pro - please note this OS is no longer supported by Microsoft!
- Windows 2003 Server (Standard upwards)
- Windows 7 (all except home versions) 32 or 64 bit
- Windows Server 2008 R2 foundation, standard or better
- Windows 8 (not if using in conjunction with EXgarde. Exgarde does not support Windows 8)
- Windows Server 2012
We do not support any OS other than the Microsoft offerings above.
How many clients can I install?
As many as you like, the system is licensed only on the servers and they will limit the number of concurrent (simultaneous) connections from client machines according to their license.
You could install every computer in your site with the software, but if your server is only licensed for 5 connections then no more than 5 of those computers could connect at one time.
Can I move the client software from one PC to another?
Absolutely, there is no license key for a client and no activation is required.
Is there a limit to the number of servers one client can connect to?
How many cameras will one server support?
The only limiting factors for the number of cameras one server will support are listed below:
- Licensing limits - we will help you license your system to suit your needs
- Storage duration - The ability to keep data before the drives are full and begin to overwrite the oldest data
- Storage writer speed - The ability of the system to write data on the drives and still respond speedily to requests for playback. TDSi recommends that no more than 25% of the total drive throughput is given over to writing video data.
- Bandwidth - The ability of the network to get the data in and out of the server.
What specification of machine do I need?
For the server, this will depend entirely on how many cameras, how much data they generate, the retention period (how long to keep it) and therefore how much storage you need. TDSi has a range of servers to suit most applications; you can either use ours or use the specification we provide to source your own equivalent machine.
For client PC’s we recommend an Intel i7 PC with 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive.
Do you support “event” recording to save storage?
Yes, VUgarde2 VMS can start and stop recording with pre and post event times on:
- Software motion detection
- camera motion detection (where supported)
- Video Analytics
- Input events
Do you provide training?
Yes, we do. Please see our website for a list of training dates at our Poole and Cannock offices. We expect attendees to have a basic level of competence with computers and IP cameras before attending.
Do you have an app for iPhone/iPad/Android?
No. The VUgarde2 Anywhere service is “platform agnostic” which means most smart devices and web browsers will provide the required functionality just by logging into the Anywhere website on the server.
We have tested the following devices for live view, larger format devices can be flipped to desktop view for full functionality:
- Android Tablets
- Android Phones
- iPads, iPhones
- Windows Phones
- Nokia Smartphones
- Blackberry Bold
- Blackberry Tablets
And the following Browsers for live view, PTZ control and playback:
- Internet Explorer (7 or later)
- Google Chrome
- Apple Safari
- Mozilla Firefox
Can I have VUgarde2 client and EXgarde client software on the same PC?
Yes, you can, in fact, if you want to use the integration between EXgarde and VUgarde2 it is a requirement. For best results, we recommend using two screens on the same PC, one showing EXgarde and the other VUgarde2.
Is there a maximum number of cameras your system can handle?
No maximum on the system. If you run out of room on your server simply add another, or two or five no problem!
Can VUgarde2 handle cause and effect?
VUgarde2 VMS has the capability to take events into the system and respond to them in a variety of ways; tell us what you want and we will help you achieve what you need to do.